The Bible reminds us that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and we have been entrusted with the privilege of maintaining and improving our spiritual, mental, social and physical health. Health Ministries promotes good health and the prevention of ill health to help achieve this goal of wholeness.
What does current research demonstrate?
1. Vegetarians have reduced risks of certain diseases because of their increased consumption of whole grains, dried beans, nuts, fresh and dried fruits, and vegetables. Vegetarians are exposed to fewer carcinogens and mutagens because they do not eat meat.
2. Fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, and nuts are often less expensive than meat. Plant foods use fewer natural resources from the environment.
3. Vegetarians typically enjoy a great variety of plant based foods, international and ethnic dishes.
4. A significant correlation exists between the frequent and long term consumption of high-fat, high-cholesterol animal based foods and the incidence of fatal heart disease, certain types of cancer, strokes, and diabetes.
5. A vegetarian diet provides a greater consumption of phytochemicals and fiber rich foods which help protect from heart disease, several types of cancer, diabetes and hypertension.
- Seventh-day Adventist Dietetic Association